Sunday, April 12, 2009

Some price comparisons

One of the factors that prompted me to retire overseas is the considerably lower cost of living here in India. The local newspaper had an article recently on current wholesale vegetable prices at the central market (in USD per kilo):
- tomatoes .08
- onions .22
- cabbage .025
- beans .16
- carrots .06

Hardly seems worth planting a garden at these prices! Nevertheless we are busy doing so. Our first tomato of the season should be ready in a couple of days.

I share a four-generation family home with my adopted Indian family. We are eight adults and four children. Our total monthly budget, including food and utilities, is about USD 200. My share is USD 30, for which I have my own room and ensuite bathroom, and two (vegetarian) meals a day, breakfast and dinner.

I usually have lunch in the nearby town for less than USD 0.50 for a vegetarian meal, or USD 1 for non-veg.

Petrol (gasoline) prices have come down recently; now about USD 3/gallon.

My pension goes a long way here!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home