Sunday, April 12, 2009

My Karnataka trip - stage 5

I spent a week in Gokarna, which is delightful.

I fell into a sort of electronic black hole during my stay. There was no cell phone coverage (Tata Indicom) in the town, although my phone worked at the beach, and my laptop died the first day, and refused to boot up. It seems the universe was telling me to get away from the keyboard, and enjoy the sun and sea instead. So I did.

There's lots of accommodation in Gokarna and the nearby beaches, from primitive to very comfortable. The season was just getting started (and may not improve much; see my comment on the IndiaMike forum
here) so lots of rooms are available, although a couple of places I looked at were full.

The nicest place by far in the town is Nimmu House, very close to the beach. The budget rooms (Rs 300 to 500) are in the older building, and the deluxe rooms (Rs 800 to 1200) are in the new building. Very nice garden. Tea and coffee available on request. (08386 256730)

On the main road, close to the bus stand, is Hotel Shri Sai Ram, very clean and well maintained. Rs 300 to 500. (08386 257755)

I stayed at Hotel Vaibhav Lodge, not far from the bus stand. A real bargain: only Rs 125 for a double room with balcony. (08386 256714)

Hotel Gokarna International is Ok but getting a bit shabby.

Drove to Om Beach one day, and had an excellent lunch at Namaste Cafe. Another day I walked to Kudle Beach, also very pleasant. Twice I walked north on the main beach; and once did a day trip to Ankola.

Gokarna is definitely on my list of places to visit again..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home