Monday, October 26, 2009

Grand Tour 2009, Stage Zero - getting ready for departure

Ever since my one-month motorcycle tour of Karnataka last year, I've been thinking about my next bike tour. I've even bought a new motorcycle in preparation.


Initially I had planned to head north from Chennai into Andhra Pradesh, then work my way west through Karnataka to the coast. 


But the storms and floods in Andhra and Karnataka in early October did a lot of damage to the roads, and I was advised to avoid that area. So instead I'll head west from Chennai, stopping at Vellore to visit the Golden Temple, then on to Yelagiri Hills for my first night stop. Next day, via Krishnagiri, into Karnataka, bypassing Bengaluru to the south-west using the Nice ring road, then heading north-west on NH 4, via Shimoga and Jog Falls to Gokarna.


Further plans are to attend Royal Enfield's Rider Mania in Goa in November, then head down the coast, inland to Kodagu, down to Kerala in December, and back to Tamil Nadu in January, arriving home after Pongal.


I've been postponing my departure, originally intended for mid-October, to finish my house renovations and move into my new digs on the top floor of our house. My "small son" Sathish is an apprentice pujari at our local temple, and he determined that an auspicious day for the opening puja was Friday 16 October, the day before Diwali. He made all the preparations, including hiring a senior pujari to officiate, and we had a wonderful ceremony. I slept in my new suite of rooms for the first time that night.


Part of the reason for the timing of my tour is to avoid the monsoon season in Tamil Nadu, which is usually from mid-October into December. I've been watching the weather forecast carefully, and the time to make a move is now. So I've been packing today, and I'll head out on Tuesday morning (27th).

1 Comments:

Blogger ESLAM UWK said...

best wardrobes design To design in the allocation of shelves in the middle of the cupboard lengthwise for shoes, and two shelves on the far right were allocated for bags, while at the top only it was opened as a wide and large shelf to accommodate travel bags or blankets, quilts and other huge belongings that require a large space

6:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home